Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cracking Up: I'll take an Olympic medal to go, please - OC Moms - The Orange County Register

as published at www.ocregister.com on August 8th, 2012:

As Russian gymnasts, Jamaican track stars, and a 27-year-old retiree with more gold than a Swiss bank hijack the living room of every household in America, two wannabe athletes are training in my own kitchen nook. And at this rate, we might just be ready for the Ugandan Games 2032.
My mom and I are hardly Olympians. But we (or I, anyway) felt like we could be the first night we watched the synchronized diving.
Article Tab: This could totally be Autumn McAlpin and her mom. Right?
This could totally be Autumn McAlpin and her mom. Right?
FILE PHOTO: THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
As I simultaneously wiped a counter, loaded a dishwasher, and stuffed my face with all the leftover food from my kids' plates, I became a bit inflated in my multi-tasking. After watching two teenagers walk to the end of a board and dive off at the same time I looked at my mom and declared, "We could do that!"
I received a roomful of chortles.
"No, really. They walked to the end of the diving board and … dived. Sure, they had nice form and all, but come on, we did swim team. We're not afraid of heights. How hard could that be?"
The panel of my biological judges on the couch weighed in.
"Those kids have been training since they were in preschool," said my husband.
"In some countries, the athletes are preordained as embryos," my mom agreed.
"You could never do that," laughed my brother...
TO READ THE REST, CLICK HERE:

Cracking Up: I'll take an Olympic medal to go, please - OC Moms - The Orange County Register

No comments: