Thursday, December 29, 2011

How the G.R.E. proved I have adult-onset A.D.D.


as published at the Orange County Register Dec. 29, 2011

As a mother of four, I can multi-task. I can cut off the crust while simultaneously unloading the dishwasher, administering a spelling test, and finding a shin guard. The problem is, for the life of me, I cannot focus on one thing at a time.

It seems I’ve developed Mom ADD -- officially diagnosed when I recently bombed the GRE.

I always thought the wisdom and skills accumulated in adulthood would benefit me when it was time to go back to school. Wrong. No part of my adulthood has demanded that I read a complex excerpt from an obscure medical journal in 1.5 minutes to decide what was not the author’s intention with this passage. Give me flashcards! Give me formulas! Give me mnemonic devices! But PLEASE, don’t ask me to sit still and pay attention.

To read entire article, click here:
Mom can multitask, but can she focus?? - OC Moms - The Orange County Register