Monday, February 27, 2012

My Top Ten Movies of 2011

I know they've got Billy Crystal and PricewaterhouseCooper and the Golden/Guild/Academy to handle this stuff, but if it was turned over to me, here are the 2011 movies that deserved to be praised on a stage.

(Keep in mind, my definition of a good movie is one that makes me think, change, or cry, so needless to say these did not all go platinum, but still very worthy of a run to redbox...)

1. MOST THOUGHT PROVOKING/ MAKES YOU GRATEFUL FILM:
A Better Life--A gardener in East L.A. struggles to keep his son away from gangs and immigration agents while trying to give his son the opportunities he never had.



Michael and I attended the L.A. premier for this one, and post-film, there wasn't a dry eye in the lobby. Since, we've had our kids watch it with us twice. Actor Demien Bichir and director Chris Weitz (About a Boy) SHOULD have been given top honors for this gem. It defines parenthood and the American dream.

2. MOST NEVER THOUGHT I'D LIKE IT BUT MAN I LOVED IT MOVIE:
Warrior-- Set in the world of mixed martial arts, two brothers must heal from the past as they prepare to enter the ring to fight each other.

Less graphically violent than I expected. Such powerful dialogue in so little words. Will force you to question what we root for. See it. Just see it. I dare you not to cry (in a good way).

3. MOST DELIGHTFUL SURPRISE:
The Artist-- Set in 1920's Hollywood, we follow leading silent film actor George Valentin's reaction to the introduction of talkies in the industry, as an up-and-coming leading lady follows him.



It deserved every "Variety" headline and Best Picture moniker. Admittedly, my first silent film (can't believe I confessed that!). But thoroughly... delightful due to stellar performances by Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo (the wife of the film's director).

4. MOST FUN IN A THEATRE:
Midnight in Paris-- A modern day screenwriter turned aspiring novelist travels with his fiancee and her parents to Paris, where a 1920's surprise awaits him every night at midnight.


Despite this being the only film in which my beloved Rachel McAdams is presented as the unlikeable character, I LOVED this film. My sister called me halfway through and said, "What is this!?!" Disclaimer: you probably need to be a writer, artist, or musician to fully appreciate the whimsical nature and magnitude of the midnight transportations from reality, but can't we just pretend it's real--or possible??

5. BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN UP AND COMER:
The Descendants-- When a man discovers his wife is cheating on him after she slips into an accident-induced coma, he is forced to strengthen the bonds with both his immediate and distant relatives.


Sure, George Clooney is as charming and Alexander Payne as brilliant as ever, but Shailene Woodley!?! Seriously!? You can't take your eyes off her in this one. She makes her bratty teenaged character completely lovable and forgivable as she comes of age while Clooney comes to terms with his life's reality that he's been ignoring. I love movies like this--touching tales about family and what matters most.

6. BEST SCENES OF THE YEAR:
Bridesmaids-- An out-of-work pastry chef competes with a fellow bridesmaid to prove most valuable in her best friend's wedding.


Melissa McCarty on the airplane. Kristen Wiig on the airplane. Melissa McCarty at the dress salon. Melissa McCarty stealing the puppies. Chair-kicking, drink-dropping HILARIOUS! Adversely, this one also had the worst scenes, including the opening most awkward sexual encounter ever, and a bridal shower tantrum that will have you cringing and screaming, "For the love of borrowed, blue garters, just STOP!"

7. BEST VENGEANCE IS MINE TALE:
The Help-- When a writer enlists "the help" to help her write an expose on racism in 1960's Mississippi, she risks her place in society to redeem the up until now silent voices that so faithfully serve women who perpetuate a cycle of prejudice.


For the rest of my life, every time I hear a racist statement, I will think about Minnie's "chocolate" pie. OF COURSE, this film and its leading actresses were amazing. Very well executed. But still it's so hard to give so much credit to a movie when the book it's based on was so good and powerful--FIRST. Way to go, Kathryn Stockett. Didn't hear your name at the Oscars, but we should have!

8. BEST HOLIDAY FILM:
Arthur Christmas-- The truth behind the passed down, high tech, elf factory system that makes Christmas possible.


REALLY didn't plan on or want to see this, but SO glad we did! The perfect blend of modern wows with Christmas magic. Heartwarming, humorous, great fun for the whole family!

9. BEST MOVIE POSTER:
Ides of March-- The tale of the power a presidential campaign staffer comes to seek after learning the tricks of dirty politics from the candidate he supports.


Besides the fact that the Cloonster and Ryan Gosling (sigh) battle it out with sharp dialogue in an intriguing plot, this poster just made me HAVE to see this film. Brilliant!

10. BEST FAMILY NIGHT OUT MOVIES (TIE):
Green Lantern-- A test pilot finds a magical ring that bestows him with superpowers-- and a pretty awesome love interest (our cousin, Blake Lively)! And yes, we'll cheer on her real life beau Ryan Reynolds, too...


I'll admit it. Didn't hurt to attend the premier at the Chinese Mann, as well as the after party. Love this cast, the film's producer Donald Deline, and (cue confession backtrack)--this was my first comic book movie, and I actually quite liked it!

Transformers- I really don't know what the h this one was about, but I seem to remember huge robots reminiscent of my childhood transforming and taking over a city with really cool special effects.


This one was only cool because I attended it with my nine-year-old date, my son Gavin, and he just thought it was really cool that his mom went to a kid toy movie with him.

Never Say Never-- Follows Justin Bieber's rise to fame as he chases a dream.

I don't care what you think about the Biebs, you can't close out this movie without wanting to bang on a drum with a wooden spoon and go sing at your local mall. This story epitomizes going for the dream. I can't name three of the dude's songs, but this movie was (my) biggest surprise hit--and it featured my rap crushes, Jaden Smith and Usher...