Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Why I will never be smarter than a sixth grader


as published on 2/28/12


"What rhymes with snowflake?" she asks on the drive home from school.

"Milkshake?" I offer.

"Who drinks milkshakes in the winter?" DUH, her 11-year-old scowl tells me. But I’m lost and ask why we have to forsake the McFlurries when our soCal winter lingers at 70 degrees.

"I have to write a poem about winter for English. I need a word that rhymes with flake."

I puff up in the driver’s seat at this-- Finally! It’s my turn.

For years, Michael has tackled all the science, math, art, Latin, physics, social studies, history, chess club, geography, and anything having to do with a ball or cleats.

I get one subject to prove useful: Language Arts. And up until now, my kids have shown themselves independently literate. But poetry? That’s a writer’s playground.

To read entire article, click here:
Why I will never be smarter than a sixth grader - OC Moms - The Orange County Register