Saturday, August 25, 2012

Welcome to Camp Ruin Mom’s Life

as published at www.ocregister.com on August 24, 2012:

In theory, it seemed like a good idea.
“Hey Mom, me and my friends want to have a babysitting camp to earn money for back to school shopping! Sound good?” my daughter chirped.
Article Tab: image1-Cracking Up: Welcome to Camp Ruin Mom’s Life
Photo courtesy Morguefile.com

In hindsight, it was the worst idea ever.
At least for me. Because while my budding entrepreneur is currently out making an offer on a small country with her earnings, I’m still extracting popsicle sticks from my planters and carting around a full bucket of size 4T Lost looking for merciful souls to claim it Found.
Funny, I seem to remember a pleading promise that, “You won’t have to do a thing!”
The truth is, the tweenster businesswomen behind Camp Summer Fun (now closed forever) are really, really great at tending to kids. But the same entrepreneurial genius and kid-loving zeal that launched this plan was missing a key component in their triple-force trifecta: reality. In the end it came down to a numbers game, and for these girls, it was the more the merrier.
“Nine, ten, eleven… nineteen, twenty, twenty-one—I told you to cap it at fourteen!” I hollered as the Expeditions rolled up and the kids started rolling out.
“But they just keep coming,” she replied sweetly, Forever 21 dreams flashing in her eyes. Oh to be twelve and ignorant to the bleariness of liability insurance, CPS and all the other things in childcare an Otter-pop can’t fix.
“You know that the required ratio in a preschool is 1 adult to 7 kids, right? And they’re licensed, bonded, and insured!”
“With you here, we’re more than covered. Do you have change for a twenty?” she asked.

READ THE REST:
Welcome to Camp Ruin Mom’s Life | cracking, seemed, good - Cracking Up - The Orange County Register

No comments: