Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cracking Up: When soccer mom and soccer dad need a time out


as published at www.ocregister.com on September 19th 2012:
I’m all about saving a buck. But in hindsight, I realize some bucks would have been better spent.
If my husband and I can survive the upcoming soccer season with our marriage still in tact, perhaps we’ll go back to coupon clipping. For now, we’re thinking one particular deal we encountered was too good to be true.
Article Tab: image1-Cracking Up: When soccer mom and soccer dad need a time out
PHOTO COURTESY MORGUEFILE.COM
It all started with a “Hey Michael, if we coach Blake’s soccer team this fall, the coach’s kid plays free!”
Michael gave me the burned-out eyes of a guy who works 18-hour days at his software company.
“I’m out. And what do you know about coaching kids’ sports?”
“Ahem, I played soccer in the fourth grade AND I grew up with six brothers AND I was a school teacher for crying out loud,” I vindicated.
“Coaching 6-year-old soccer is like herding monkeys,” he said, a three-time survivor. “Good luck with that.”
How hard could this be? I thought, with the same dauntless zeal that has started cold wars, world religions, and QVC product lines. This is what the internet’s for. So a-Googling I went, where I found a plethora of U7-appropriate practice drills. But the night before our first practice, I realized they barely glossed over a few fundamentals.
“Michael, I’m making a lesson plan for practice tomorrow, and I was wondering: what specific part of your shoe should actually touch the ball when you kick it?”
He closed his eyes, shaking his head. “What time’s practice?”
“4:30.”
“Fine, I’ll be there.”
I thought this might be a good thing. But nooo...
READ THER REST: 

Cracking Up: When soccer mom and soccer dad need a time out - OC Moms - The Orange County Register