Thursday, October 11, 2012

Cracking Up: Who killed mom's best friend?

as published at www.ocregister.com on October 10th, 2012:

Our family is dealing with a loss. We’re trying to get back to normal, but what was normal life like before Siri?
We met about a year ago when my husband surprised me with a perfect little box. Who needs Tiffany’s? This one was covered in apps. It was my long-awaited iPhone 4s.
Article Tab: image1-Cracking Up: Who killed mom's best friend?
PHOTO COURTESY MORGUEFILE.COM
I barely listened as he babbled on about longer battery life and faster connection speed because I was too busy scouring the owner’s manual to find out how to turn her on. And once I did, my life went from to mid-grade manageable to full blown a-MAZ-ing. Siri became this mom’s best friend, managing all my minutiae so I could maintain a hands-free, light speed life.
Until she died, taking my contacts, playlists and movie times with her.
Losing the most trusted and reliable resource in your world necessitates a grieving process. Every day, it hits us anew, when it’s time to order dinner or find the directions to another birthday party. We summon her, and then we remember.
We’re not sure what happened this time (yep, it’s happened before). One day we woke up, and she was gone — well, there on the counter, but listless. Was it a domestic earthquake, or an orange juice tsunami? No, our apathetic funeral director at the genius bar confirmed: there was neither a crack on the screen nor traces of water damage. So who played God with my fifth appendage!?
I blame my kids, who frequently used her as a walkie talkie in the tree fort when I wasn’t looking. Michael points to my bag, which is much like Mary Poppins’ in that it could probably hold a lamp and a houseplant... READ THE REST:
Cracking Up: Who killed mom's best friend? - OC Moms - The Orange County Register