Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cracking Up: Playing house makes being a mom seem fun


as published at www.ocregister.com on October 3, 2012:
“When we get home, let’s play house,” my 4-year-old Gracie says to her two fellow spandex-clad BFF’s as I drive them home from gymnastics.
In unison, all three girls scream, “I get to be the mom!”
Article Tab: image1-Cracking Up: Playing house makes being a mom seem fun
Like it’s the President or something. Sure I can reach the top shelf and go to bed whenever I want, but have they forgotten that when we get home and they go off to play house that the moms of the world get to pay the chiropractor, clean out the freezer, and brown hamburger meat?
“Wow, girls, why do you all want to be the mom?” I ask, wondering if they’d noticed the red carpet glamour of my afternoon spent labeling backpacks and breaking down forts and bathing the skunk off of the dog.
“Because she has the purse!” I look over at my real purse -- a stained and stringy-strapped Target special from two years ago that I just can’t seem to toss because it holds everything!Obviously, I’m not a bag person, but it’s not like their pink Minnie Mouse plastic holds the key to the universe either.
“And… why else?” I continue.
They look at each other, their cute little faces scrunching up in confusion.
“Because… it’s the mom,” my daughter finally says. And it’s not even Mother’s Day. I’m loving this, but have to wonder...
READ THE REST:

Cracking Up: Playing house makes being a mom seem fun - OC Moms - The Orange County Register