Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Lessons on marriage learned on a trade show floor - Cracking Up - The Orange County Register

as published at www.ocregister.com on November 8th, 2012:
"You have to talk nice to me if you want me to sell your software," I tell my husband as we check our bags at the LAX Skycap.
"What do you mean? I always talk nice to you," Michael says.
Article Tab: image1-Cracking Up: Lessons on marriage learned on a trade show floor
PHOTO COURTESY MORGUEFILE.COM
"Not when it comes to techie stuff. When I tell you the remote’s not working, you look at me like I just asked you what country we live in or something and ask, 'What’d you do?'"
He assures me he’ll treat me like the boss, though I’d settle for executive assistant. Which for a week, I am. It’s just one of the many roles I occasionally show up to fill as the wife of an entrepreneur.
We’re on our way to a national healthcare convention in Orlando, Florida, where we’ll be selling Michael’s home care software at a tradeshow. I tell some of my friends this beforehand, and they ask if I’ll be wearing a tight black dress and throwing out candy to garner the attention of passers-by. “That’s not why he’s bringing me!” I retort. Or is it?
I’m always up for an adventure, especially of the travel variety. I’ve even gotten excited about road trips to Reno. But there are so many things seemingly wrong with my inclusion on this trip, I’m still second guessing whether I should yell out “I have a knife!” as we pass through security so they’ll send me back home.  READ THE REST:
Lessons on marriage learned on a trade show floor | marriage, trade, cracking - Cracking Up - The Orange County Register