Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cracking Up: The morning after election night - The Orange County Register

as published at www.ocregister.com on November 14th, 2012:
It really bothered me that over two billion dollars was spent on the 2012 Presidential campaign -- until I heard that over two billion dollars is spent annually on Halloween candy.
If we can invest so heartily in our children’s cavities, I suppose it’s only fair that we likewise endow the election of the leader of the free world.
Article Tab: image1-Cracking Up: The morning after election night
PHOTO COURTESY MORGUEFILE.COM
I tried to maintain a similarly ambivalent mindset throughout the past year of heated political debate, reconciling that the candidates could assume my share of fervor onstage, at the mercy of their moderators.
It’s not that I don’t care about politics or have strong positions on the issues facing our country. I’m a mother, a tax payer, and a multi-generation patriotic American; my political proclivities boil deep. But as I end most nights at our house in the heat of a bedtime battle, pleading "Why can’t we all just get along?" while my kids argue to uphold their messy rooms and stinky bodies, I woke up the morning after the election deeply relieved it was all over — even if several ballot selections hadn’t gone my way.
Then I logged on to Facebook, where I learned just how diverse my "friends" actually are. Half the people I know were dancing in the streets; the other half moving to Costa Rica. ALL felt vehemently about their plans. I quickly decided I wasn’t in the mood for Facebook, and found an actual book to read, feeling soothed by my ability to disconnect.
Until my mom called... READ THE REST:
Cracking Up: The morning after election night - OC Moms - The Orange County Register