Wednesday, November 30, 2011

When Crafts Go Bad



as published at www.ocregister.com on Nov. 30, 2011
The elf’s on the shelf and it’s a 20-minute wait just to park at Costco. Cue Bing Crosby, the holidays are here!
So what better time to tap into a little holiday magic and pretend for five minutes that I could be that mom -- you know, the one who embroiders her kids’ stockings and has a recipe for eggnog that people will actually drink?

In truth, my Christmas to-do line items usually start with the word “Order.” And no strand in my genetic code perks up at “Let’s do holiday crafts!” But it must have skipped a generation, because my four little Picassos' most hallowed December moments involve a wreath stencil and fabric strips. And I’ve got a ginormous box of past Christmas crap crafts as proof.

When stricken with the holiday spirit, I’m all about outsourcing. So on day one of Thanksgiving break, I decided to surprise my kids with a field trip to “Art Soup” in San Diego -- a place where you can don a real smock and paint a real car! And double surprise, their cousins were meeting us there!
To read entire article, click here:
When crafts go bad - Cracking Up - The Orange County Register